Israeli sentenced 10 years for making, marketing bomb threats | News Updates
An Israeli court sentenced a teenager to 10 years in prison for making bomb threats targeting airports as well as Jewish Community Centres and schools in the U.S. from 2016 to 2017.
He was additionally sentenced to pay a fine of 16,000 dollars, the Tel Aviv court said on Thursday.
The 20-year-old, arrested in southern Israel in 2017, forced evacuations across the U.S. and contributed to accusations that President Donald Trump had sparked a wave of anti-Semitism.
He also threatened a U.S. senator and targets in Australia and New Zealand.
Media has reported that the Israeli citizen also has U.S. citizenship.
The man was found guilty of acts he committed after he turned 18, which was in August 2016.
The court said he had committed around 2,000 threats by phone and email using identity-masking technology since 2015.
According to the conviction, the teenager marketed his threat services through the online marketplace AlphaBay, charging 40 dollars to call a private home and threaten a massacre, 80 dollars to threaten a school and 500 dollars to bomb threat a plane.
He received the equivalent of 873,179 shekels in the electronic currency bitcoin for the threats, the court said.
He was convicted of extortion by threats, publishing false information that causes fear and panic and money-laundering, among other charges. (dpa/NAN)
- NPDC PROJECT: Firm denies claims of indebtedness to Delta communities
November 13, 2018
- New minimum wage: Oshiomhole breaks silence on Governors’ refusal to workers N30,000
November 18, 2018
- Muslim group blows hot over banning of hijab wearing students
November 15, 2018
- Fuel Supply: NNPC set to control more than 14% market share
November 12, 2018
- FG drags Imo APC guber candidate, Uzodinma, Senator Oduah to court
November 1, 2018
- Lionel Messi fails as Real Betis beat Barcelona 4-3
November 11, 2018
- 2019: El-Rufai explains why he picked Hadiza Balarabe as running mate
November 13, 2018
- Name one country run by a black person that is not a s***hole – Trump
November 3, 2018
- Osun election: I’m not dead, I’ll be governor – Senator Adeleke [VIDEO]
November 9, 2018
- 23 C’ttee chairmen lose rights over 25 inconclusive Bills to House
November 22, 2018