11 die as boat capsizes in Ogun | News Updates
Tragedy struck as eleven passengers died while 16 were rescued when a boat conveying them capsized on Tafa River, Maun 2 in Ipokia local government area of Ogun State.
It was gathered that the incident occurred as a result of engine failure while the boat was already in the middle of the river.
An eye witness said the boat was ferrying passengers and their goods from Badagry in Lagos to Maun in Ipokia .
According to him, the unlucky passengers were traders taking their goods from a market in Badagry s back home in Ipokia , before the boat capsized.
Spokesman for the Ogun State Police Command, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed the incident, blaming it on the overload of the boat.
He said, “Yes. There was boat accident. It was overloaded . The boat did not have light, but it travelled in the night .
“It collided with a pillar in the river. The passengers were coming from Badagry and going to Ipokia. It was the last boat left and all the 29 traders boarded the boat. 16 rescued alive, 10 dead Thursday and one died Friday.
“No life jacket. There were marine police at the site. Two missing. Skipper was arrested after he ran away.”
Oyeyemi said the Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu, had directed that the DPO should enforce that boats must have live jackets and not carry more than their capacity.
Meanwhile, Governor Ibikunle Amosun has visited the site of the boat mishap.
- Only our House of Assembly can investigate us – Rivers government
November 13, 2018
- El-Zakzaky: After killing us, Army is accusing us of attacking soldiers – IMN
October 30, 2018
- EPL: Nemanja Vidic names who caused Man United’s 3-1 loss to Manchester City
November 12, 2018
- Nigeria not in hurry to sign African free trade agreement – Buhari govt
November 1, 2018
- Minimum Wage: NURTW directs members to join proposed NLC, TUC nationwide strike
November 5, 2018
- Poor funding hindering maintenance of Army infrastructure, says Buratai
November 15, 2018
- South Africa vs Nigeria: Young predicts scoreline of 2019 AFCON qualifier clash
November 16, 2018
- Army builds detention centre for Boko Haram fighters
November 16, 2018
- 2019: Why Buhari entitled his campaign ‘Next Level’ – Amaechi
November 19, 2018
- Rooney names two superstars in England team
November 14, 2018